Thursday, June 23, 2011

Snickerdoodle Blondies


I started searching food blogs, foodbuzz, and foodgawker at the beginning of the year. I guess you could say it was my new year resolution to find recipes that I thought were interesting and bake them. One of the first blogs that I stumbled upon, and fell in love with, was Brown Eyed Baker. Her recipes were simple, in the sense that I felt I could make them on a whim without the end result being disastrous. And every recipe that I have tried has been amazing.


So as I said, it was just after Christmas that I started checking out different blogs. I had just completed, what seemed like, a never ending weekend of cookie baking. One of the recipes that we always make is Snickerdoodles. They are cake-like and delicious; no one in our family can resist the snickerdoodle. So when I happened upon her Snickerdoodle Blondie recipe I knew it was something I had to try. The recipe was super easy to put together and the blondies lasted sooo much longer than the cookies. They stayed chewy for days, I know because I had one a couple every day, they are that addicting.

These blondies are perfect to take to a Christmas party. I know, you're saying "excuse me, it's June" but what you may not realize is that this Saturday will be June 25th, exactly halfway to the joyous, red & green holiday, and what I like to call 'Christmas in June.' So slap on a Santa hat, whip up some of these blondies and have yourself a party!

Snickerdoodle Blondies

2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven the 350F. I use a lot of dark, non-stick pans so I usually crank my oven down to 325F so the outside doesn't get to brown before the middle finishes cooking.

2. Combine the dry ingredients together ( except for the 2 Tbsp sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon which will be used to top the blondies) and whisk  together, set aside.

3. In a large bowl beat the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Then, and the eggs one at a time, mixing until just incorporated. Add the vanilla. On low speed at the flour mixture a little at a time until incorporated. The batter will be pretty thick so you may want to give it a final stir with your spatual to make sure the flour has been fully incorporated.

4. Spread the batter into a 9 x 13 inch pan that you've sprayed, you'll need to work the batter into the corners of the pan. Try to get an even top.

5. Finally combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the blondies. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top of the blondies spring back slightly when touched. Let them cool in the pan completely before cutting and serving.

Enjoy!

1 comment: