Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Homemade Oreos


I came back to work last week and it was like a ghost town. it was so dead I may have even seen a tumbleweed roll by my desk at one point or that could have been a mirage from me going delirious with boredom. Needless to say there was absolutely NOTHING to do, so I stayed busy by drooling over foodgawker pictures and updating my Pinterest boards. Why didn't I just go home a veg on the couch, you ask? Well, mommy needs a paycheck! So while I eagerly perused the gawkerverse I happened upon a homemade Oreo recipe. I had seen these a couple times before, but also wrote them off. I mean, you can't beat the original and I don't like making cookies... that's right, I said it! For some reason, cookies just don't excite me. SUE ME! Nevertheless, I clicked on the link and decided that I would make them, immediately. Or at least once I got off work at 3.


I went home, and amazingly had everything I needed to complete the task of homemade Oreos. As usual, I used Hershey's dark cocoa which gave the cookies a really deep chocolately flavor. Next time I will most definitely roll the cookies out a little thinner because they puffed a little in the oven and came out a little thicker than the traditional cookie. I might also chill the cookies after assembling them to help stiffen up the cream in the middle.

Side Note: I got a kitchen scale for Christmas, YAY! So some of the recipes I post, like this one, will be in weight measurements.

Homemade Oreos (adapted from Bravetart)

3 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
3 3/4 ounces sugar
1 1/2 ounces brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
4 ounces all purpose flour
3 ounces dark cocoa powder

1. Preheat the oven to 350 and lined a cookie sheet with parchment.

2. In a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugars, salt, baking powder, baking soda, instant coffee, and vanilla together until creamy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time and mix. Add the flour and cocoa all at once and mix until thoroughly combined, the dough will be very thick.

3. Form the dough into a ball and roll it out to 1/4" thickness. Take a 2" cookie cutter and cut out the cookies. Take the scraps, re-roll and cut again. Place all the cookies on the sheet pan.

4. Take any remaining scraps and place in a bowl. Thin them out with a small amount of hot water. Mix until you get the consistency of icing. Place in  pastry bag with a small tip and pipe patterns onto the tops of the cookies.

5. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until firm. Let cool on cooling rack while you prepare your filling.

Cream Filling

1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

1. Combine all of your ingredients and beat until smooth. You want the mixture to be pretty thick so it holds up the the cookie.

2. Place cream in piping bag and pipe onto 1/2 of the cookies. Sandwich the cookies together and chill for 30 minutes, so the cream sets up. Serve with a glass of milk!

2 comments:

  1. These look so delicious! I bet they are better than the original! Your dad pointed me to your blog....I recently purchased one of his handcrafted cheese boards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They were good, and unbelievably easy!

    ReplyDelete