Saturday, June 2, 2012

Key Lime Pie


Key lime pie is one of my favorite non-chocolate desserts. I first made it a couple years back on one of our family trips to Edisto. We were all wanting a dessert, but were so full of shrimp and grits that we knew we couldn't handle anything too heavy. That's when I thought of the key lime pie my Grandma had made the week before. It was light and refreshing and perfect for the beach. I called her up and she listed of the ingredients (from memory, of course). I hurried over to the Piggly Wiggly (the only store on the island) and quickly got to work.




This recipe is super simple and comes together in less than 30 minutes. I've added shredded coconut to the crust and well as chopped pecans and I think they both give the pie a really nice twist. Remember to have whipped cream on hand for decorating as well as a fresh lime to zest overtop. During the summer I make this pie a lot, for both myself and others. It is always a hit!

Key Lime Pie

1 graham cracker crust (below)

4 egg yolks
3/4 cup key lime juice
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

1. Combine the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk with a whisk. Add the key lime juice and whisk until fully combined. Pour into the cooled crust and bake for 10-15 minutes. The middle of the pie should still be slightly jiggly, but the outside should be set.

2. Allow to cool and then whip some heavy cream and sugar together and pipe with a star tip. Zest some lime over top to complete the decoration.

Graham Cracker Crust


1 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 stick butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350. Take graham crackers and pulse in food processor until you've reached a fine crumb. Measure out 1 3/4 cups.

2. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Should resemble wet sand. Press mixture into pie pan. Chill in fridge for 5-10 minutes. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool.

1 comment: