Sunday, August 7, 2011

Buttermilk Doughnuts


I have a confession. Sometimes I buy baking items that I don't really need.
"Hi, my name is Allie and I'm a shopaholic...when it comes to new baking do-hickeys."
I've bought petit four molds, multiple measuring cup sets, and every holiday cupcake liner under the sun, even if I don't celebrate that holiday! But my worst purchase was the baked doughnut pan. Yes, I gave into the hype of the baked doughnut. Sur La Table's baking section was plastered with baked doughnut pans, mixes, and recipe books. They all called to me and, like a fool, I succumbed to the pressure and bought not one, but TWO pans.


Still riding the high of my purchases (ladies, you know what I'm talking about) I rushed home and browsed the web for a baked doughnut recipe. I settled on a simple white doughnut with chocolate glaze. I made the batter, spooned it into the pans, and baked it for 8-12 minutes. The chocolate glaze was made and the doughnuts were ready so a scooped them out of the oven and waited for them to cool. I iced them and set them on the brunch table for everyone to enjoy. I couldn't believe doughnuts were so easy to make.

Everyone took a doughnut and, almost simultaneously, took a huge bite. I was perplexed. My eyes were telling me I was eating a doughnut, but my taste buds quickly said "nope, that's just cake shaped like a doughnut." Everyone else had the exact same reaction. It's not as though the 'doughnuts' tasted bad, they just weren't doughnuts. So now I'm left with two doughnut pans I'm never going to use. I mean, who wants cake in the shape of doughnuts?! You either want cake or you want doughnuts.

So this sad, sad story leads me to me next recipe, buttermilk FRIED doughnuts. I saw it on Brown Eyed Baker last week and I new I had to redeem myself. I would make some rockin' doughnuts that actually tasted like doughnuts!

Notes: In my opinion these doughnuts were best the second day. The glaze had a time to harden and it's almost as if the flavor set into the doughnut. Super delicious!

Buttermilk Doughnuts (adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)

3½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs
¾ cup buttermilk
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Vegetable oil for frying

1. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper and one with two layers of paper towels.

2. In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In another bowl whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream. Then add the melted butter and whisk again.

3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet until fully combined. The dough will be pretty sticky.

4. Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface and knead a few times. Then, pat the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness. Use to different sized round cutters to cut doughnuts. Place the doughnuts and their holes onto the parchment paper. Re-pat the dough to make more doughnuts. Once all the doughnuts are made, refrigerate them while you heat the oil.

5. Place a large, deep pan on the stove with at least 1 inch of oil. Slowly heat the oil on medium heat until it reaches between 360-375F. Once the oil reaches temperature take one or two doughnuts and place them in the oil. Wait about 2 minutes, then flip the doughnuts over. Cook another 2 minutes or until they are a deep golden brown. Take the doughnuts out and place them on the paper towels.

Krispy Kreme Glaze

1/3 cup butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4-6 Tbsp hot water

1. Whisk the melted butter and powdered sugar until combined. Add the vanilla and whisk again. Add the hot water 1 Tbsp at a time until the glaze reaches the desired consistency. Pour over the warm doughnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment