Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chocolate Bundt Cake


So I had to get another textbook for my baking classes. I'm taking bread baking this semester and my instructor is going to be using The Baker's Apprentice which I've heard is a really good resource for beginner bakers. So I went to my school's bookstore and they were selling it for $36. That's when I went to Amazon; they were selling it for $19. Then I went to Barnes and Noble; they were selling it for $19 as well, BUT if I spent $25 my shipping would be free. You know I couldn't pass up a deal like that!

I searched for a few minutes an hour (I admit, I have a hard time making decisions) and decided that my additional purchase would be the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook. It got pretty good reviews and I've seen a lot on foodgawker about their amazing frosting. I submitted my order and the books were in my possession the next week.


A little time when by and then I was getting the baking jives (I just made that up, but you know the feeling, when you really want to bake something, but you're not sure what you want.) So I went to my fridge and realized I didn't have hardly any ingredients. That's when I turned to the Magnolia Cookbook. I flipped through the pages and I finally landed on Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake. I had all the ingredients (amazingly) so I decided to make it! It turned out awesome, it wasn't too chocolaty so I added a chocolate ganache which kept in moist. It was a great start to this cookbook adventure and I'm excited to keep going.


Chocolate Bundt Cake (adapted from Magnolia Bakery Cookbook)

3 cups plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 Tbsp instant espresso
1 1/2 cups boiling water
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 2/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 large egg
3/4 cup sour cream
2/3 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour a 10" tube pan.

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl combine the chocolate and espresso. Add the boiling water and let sit for 1 minute. Stir mixture until the chocolate is completely melted. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.

3. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix. Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing only until smooth. And the sour cream and mix. Add the chocolate mix in 3 parts, mixing after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Smooth out the top and bake for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (I used a skewer so it would be long enough to check the center of the cake). Let cool in the pan then transfer to a cake plate.

Chocolate Ganache (from The Art and Soul of Baking)

8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
8 oz heavy cream

1. Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl.

2. Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan until bubble form on the edges. Pour hot cream over chocolate and let sit for 1 minute. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth.

3. Allow to cool until the mixture reaches a pourable consistency. Pour over bundt cake. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment