Monday, October 24, 2011

Chocolate Oreo Cake and a Birthday

Last Wednesday was Jackson's second birthday!!! It was a lot of fun to watch him play with his new toys and get excited about blowing out the candles. I still don't know where the last 2 years went, but I can't wait to see him grow even more. He is so big, so smart, and SO adorable. He has a mind of his own and an opinion that he voices often.

So for his birthday I wanted to make him something special. I decided on a chocolate cake because for some reason he doesn't think vanilla cake is actually cake. I don't know why, but he usually won't even try it unless its chocolate, which is fine by me! I was planning on making traditional vanilla frosting, but then I saw a recipe on Baker's Royale for Oreo Buttercream and I just couldn't resist. Of course I didn't have Oreos in the house (I know, it's a sin) so I scooted out to the grocery store and picked some up, along with a bag of Chiptole Cheddar Chex Mix which is pretty good by the way (FYI: don't go to the grocery store hungry!)


I tried a new chocolate cake recipe and it is my new favorite! The texture was AMAZING and the lightness of the Oreo frosting went perfectly with the dense chocolate cake. I'm going to try the cake out in cupcake form this week, and I'm hoping it will have just as good results. I wish someone I knew was having a birthday soon so I could make this cake all over again!

Devil's Food Cake (adapted from Mile High Cakes)

1 cup dark cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups hot water
3 cups brown sugar, packed
2 2/3 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, room temp
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup cold water

1. Preheat over to 325. Grease 3 8" pans and line the bottom with parchment.

2. Mix the hot water and cocoa powder until cocoa is completely dissolved. Allow to cool to room temp.

3. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Beat in butter and cocoa mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy (2 min).  In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and cold water until combined. Add the mixture to the batter in 3 additions.

4. Divide the batter into the 3 pans and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pans.

Oreo Buttercream (adapted from Baker's Royale)

5 egg whites
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup Oreo crumbs

1. In a double boiler, heat the egg whites and sugar until the mixture reaches 150F. Whisk Constantly.

2. Once the mixture is hot, remove from the double boiler and begin beating (I use the stand mixer for this). Continue beating until the outside of the bowl no longer feels warm to the touch (10 min).

3. Once the mixture is cooled, and the butter 1 Tbsp at a time, waiting until all the butter is incorporated before adding another. At some point the mixture may look soupy, just continue beating and it will come together. Add the vanilla and Oreo crumbs and beat until thoroughly combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment