Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Halloween Snake Cake


I am unbelievably excited about the Halloween season. Not because of the haunted hayrides (which you wouldn't catch me dead on), or the costumes. It's the decorations, specifically cake/cupcake decorations. I've been seeing them all over the web and I want to try them ALL. This is my first attempt and I have to say that I am pretty proud. I got the ideas from Martha Stewart's website where you can find the Snake Stencil. I used my go-to vanilla buttercream and dyed it orange with gel food coloring, then I dripped chocolate ganache down the cake to give it a spooky, but sophisticated feel. Next time I think I'll try dying the buttercream a little darker, but other than that I think it turned out really nice. I hope you try it. Be on the look out for more Halloween themed posts!



Chocolate Ganache (from The Art and Soul of Baking)

8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream

1. Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat the cream in a saucepan until it begins to simmer. Remove and pour over the chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Let cool until it comes to a thick, slightly pourable consistency. Pour over cake and let slide down the sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment