Monday, July 9, 2012

Turtle Pie


AKA Caramel-Chocolate-Whipped Cream heaven. I wish I had made this dessert 5 years ago, so I could've made one every month since then. I got the idea from my brother, so I have to give him MAD props for bringing this delicious dessert into my life. He had a version of this pie at one of his favorite restaurants (which is now closed) and had been asking me for a while to make it. Actually, the pie at the restaurant was banoffee pie, which he asked the waiter if the bananas could be removed and replaced with candied pecans (I know, that sounds like an excellent trade!!) So finally, after a couple months of not so subtle hints from my brother, I decided to make it.

I found a recipe for Banoffee Pie and then went from there. The layer of toffee is thick and gooey, followed by a thin layer of homemade chocolate sauce (which is a lot easier to make than you might think) and a sprinkling of salted pecans. All topped with a mound of whipped cream and drizzles of more chocolate and caramel sauce. This dessert definitely isn't for the faint of heart! Make sure you have room for the sweet, sweet goodness because you will not want to stop once you start. Funny enough, my brother wasn't there to enjoy the final product, but I'm sure he's kicking himself for missing out on this!

Turtle Pie (adapted from Saveur)

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 stick butter, melted

1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk

1/4 cup chocolate sauce
caramel sauce
 2-3 cups whipped cream

1. Preheat oven to 350. Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press into a greased 9" pie pan. Bake for 13 minutes. Take pie out and cool completely.

2. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add the sugar and allow to melt. Add the condensed milk and bring to a boil. The mixture should darken slightly. Cook for 5 minutes and then pour into cooled pie shell.

3. Chill pie at least 1 hour, or until toffee is firm. Pour the chocolate sauce over the toffee layer. Top with the whipped cream and then drizzle more chocolate and caramel sauce over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment