Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sugar Covered Cranberries



This weekend was my families annual cookie-baking weekend. Every year the women in my family get together before Christmas and bake. I don't mean bake a couple dozen cookies and call it a day. I mean bake over 2000 cookies, bake until we were covered in powdered sugar (okay, that only happened to me), bake until the thought of cookies made us cringe, bake until we literally couldn't bake any more!


Sadly I didn't take any pictures of the cookie madness, but my uncle did manage to take a panoramic with his fancy new iPhone so you can see a little bit of our baking.


Along with cookies we also made a few candy items, and the one that I was most impressed by was the sugared cranberries. They were so easy to make, but look so professional and were a big hit with the guys in our family.

Sugar Cranberries

1 cup sugar
1 cup water

1 bag cranberries, rinsed & dried
sugar for covering

1. Rinse and dry the cranberries. Remove any bruised and place in a medium container that can be put in the fridge.

2. Heat the water and sugar together in a pan until all of the sugar has melted. Pour the sugar syrup over the cranberries and refrigerate for several hours, preferably overnight.

3. Take the cranberries out of the liquid and lightly pat dry with a paper towel. They should be tacky, but not wet.

4. Then, a little at a time, roll the cranberries in fine sugar until they are completely covered. Place covered cranberries on a drying rack and continue the process. Allow to dry at least 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment