Monday, February 25, 2013

Chocolate Swirl Buns



It's been a while since my last post, sorry! I've been so caught up with my job and moving that I haven't had much time to blog. I've finally gotten settled in to my new place enough to start baking again and I'm pretty excited.




I love cinnamon rolls, in fact I might have a slight obsession with them. Okay, let's be honest, it's more than slight. If they could, I'm sure cinnamon rolls would take out a restraining order against me. The only problem with cinnamon rolls is the amount of time it takes to make them. This recipe will not save you time, but it will make the time spent WORTH it. Chocolate and cinnamon rolls, that sounds like a match made in sweet, sweet heaven.

Chocolate Swirl Buns (adapted from Annie's Eats)

1/2 milk, warmed slightly
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp rapid rise yeast
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter, room temp

8 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
4 Tbsp butter, room temp

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, sprinkle yeast over warm milk and sugar. Let sit until it begins to bubble. Add the egg, flour and salt and use the paddle attachment to combine. Add the butter and mix until combined. Use the dough hook to knead the dough for 10 minutes.

2. Transfer to a greased bowl and allow to rise until doubled in size.

3. In a food processor, combine the ingredients for the filling. Pulse until combined.

4. Once the dough has risen, put it on a floured surface and roll it out into a 12x18" rectangle. Sprinkle the filling over the dough and then roll the dough up along the long side. Cut 12 equal pieces and place them in greased muffin tins to rise for another 30 minutes.

5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Egg wash the rolls and bake them for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack. Serve warm.*

*These were the best right out of the oven, so if you want them for a breakfast or brunch, plan on getting up early :)

No comments:

Post a Comment