Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Retirement Party



Having just begun my career, it felt a little strange when I was asked to make a retirement cake for a woman at work. It's one of those times when you realize that with every beginning comes an end. Not to be too much of a downer, but it really got me thinking about my goals, aspirations, and dreams. I want to look back on my 40 years of work and feel like I've accomplished something. So in a way, I think it was good for me to think about the end while I'm still at the beginning.




Now enough deep conversation, let talk about the cake! I was so happy when I was told that the woman loved chocolate, because, as I've told you time and again, that is my FAVORITE flavor. I made my usual Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Swiss Buttercream. I added a few chocolate jimmies for a little pizazz (is that a real word?) This is one of very few tiered cakes that I've done, and it was actually very stable and level which I was pleasantly surprised by, haha.


Devil's Food Cake (adapted from Mile High Cakes)

1 cup dark cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups hot water
3 cups brown sugar, packed
2 2/3 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, room temp
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup cold water

1. Preheat over to 325. Grease 3 8" pans and line the bottom with parchment.

2. Mix the hot water and cocoa powder until cocoa is completely dissolved. Allow to cool to room temp. 

3. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Beat in butter and cocoa mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy (2 min).  In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and cold water until combined. Add the mixture to the batter in 3 additions. 

4. Divide the batter into the 3 pans and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pans.

Chocolate Buttercream 

5 egg whites
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 Tbsp vanilla
6 oz semi sweet chocolate, melted and cooled

1. Over a double boiler, heat egg whites and sugar until hot to the touch. Put in stand mixer with whip attachment and beat until bowl is room temperature.

2. Add the butter 1 Tbsp at a time until all is incorporated. And vanilla and chocolate. Beat until combined. 


No comments:

Post a Comment