Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pi Day


Happy Pi Day!!! This is my first year celebrating and I am excited to share with you my completely homemade recipe. Since Pi Day was so close to St. Patrick's Day I decided to do a grasshopper pie to incorporate both. However, I slightly misjudged the amount of food coloring I needed so it is more of a hint of green pie, rather than neon green. But you live and you learn. In any shade this pie is extremely delicious and for those of you who are mint/chocolate fans this will be your new favorite.




The recipe is a major adaptation from my strawberries and cream pie that I made last year. I swapped the graham cracker crust for an Oreo crust and changed the strawberries to mint. The fluffiness of the filling and the crunch of the crust are a great combo. I hope you all enjoy!

Grasshopper Pie

Crust:
2/3 bag of Oreos (cream removed), crushed
6 TBSP butter, melted

Filling:
2 8oz blocks cream cheese, room temp
2/3 cup sugar
1-2 tsp peppermint extract
green gel food coloring
2 cups heavy whipping cream

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Combine the crushed Oreos and the butter. Press into a 9" pie pan and place in the freezer for 5 minutes. Bake the crust for 10 minutes and then let cool completely.

2. For the filling, beat the cream to stiff peaks and place in the fridge until ready to use. Combine the rest of the filling ingredients and beat until smooth.

3. Fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten it. Then fold in the rest until fully incorporated. Place filling in crust and smooth out with a spatula. Crush a few more Oreos on the top for garnish and fridge for at least 4 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I bet another great variation would be with pistachios, shortbread, and pistachio extract!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! That's why I like this pie so much, the possibilities are endless

      Delete