Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Coconut Macaroons



If you've read any of my blog posts you know that I have a slight obsession with chocolate. Well not far behind is my love for coconut. I've posted a recipe for my favorite French Coconut Pie and now, I'm writing about on of my favorite coconut + chocolate snacks.




I've been buying coconut macaroons at the grocery store for years. I buy a box and snack on them throughout the week. They don't get stale like cookies or dry like brownies, which is why they are perfect when you're the only one in the house who eats them. The reason I always bought them is because for the longest time I thought the process of making them was super long and involved. However, during my family's annual cookie baking weekend my mom enlightened me. You really just dump all the ingredients in a bowl, stir, and then scoop onto cookie trays, it's THAT easy! Who knew?

I dipped my macaroons in chocolate, because, let's face it, I have a problem.... But they are delicious plain. Either way these are a perfect dessert if you want something fancy, but just don't have the energy for an in-depth recipe. Enjoy!

Coconut Macaroons (adapted from The Framed Table)

1 14oz bag sweetened flake coconut
1/3 cup sugar
4 TBSP flour
pinch salt
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla

6 oz melted semi sweet chocolate

1. Preheat the over to 325. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a bowl, combine the coconut, sugar, flour, and salt. Add the egg whites and vanilla and stir until evenly mixed.

3. Scoop TBSP of the mixture onto the baking sheet, approximately 1/2" apart. Try to keep the mixture in a  ball form. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until each is golden around the edges. Take out of the oven and allow to cool completely on the pan.

4. To decorate: Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in melted chocolate and place on clean parchment to harden. You could also drizzle the chocolate over the top for a cool effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment