Monday, September 16, 2013

Chocolate Chess Pie



It's been forever since my last post, and honestly, I have no excuse. Other than it was summer and I wasn't baking as much. Who wants to be in a hot kitchen when it's 100 degrees and gorgeous outside?! But the air has finally gotten a little crisper and even a few leaves are beginning to change so I thought I'd welcome the changing of seasons with some pie.




I first had chocolate chess pie at Thanksgiving several years ago. My uncle brought one to dinner at my grandma house. One of his close family friends had been making them for years, really old school, no fuss, delicious pies. Needless to say, my family devoured it. I had never really though about making my own, mainly because I always find making my own pie crust somewhat tedious. But with the colder weather coming, I wanted to have a pie to go with it.

That's when I thought of the Chocolate Chess Pie. I looked up a few recipes, all looking pretty simple. I settled on the one that had the most chocolate, because it's me. I swapped the milk for cream, so this is definitely not a figure friendly pie, but my motto has always been 'moderation'. This is the perfect pie to impress guests, but it doesn't take any time to put together. I hope you're enjoying the colder weather as much as I am!

Chocolate Chess Pie (adapted from Well Seasoned Life)

1/2 cup butter
2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp AP flour
pinch salt
1/4 cup cream
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

1 pie crust, unbaked.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a saucepan, melt butter and chocolate together. While the chocolate is melting, add sugar, flour, and salt to a large bowl. Pour melted chocolate over sugar mixture and beat with an electric mixer until combined.

3. Add the eggs, cream, and vanilla and beat until completely incorporated. Pour mixture into unbaked pie crust and bake for 35-45 minutes. Allow to cool and then fridge for at least 2 hours. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment