Monday, May 26, 2014

Perfect Blueberry Pie


I will admit that fruit pies have kind of frightened me. I can never seem to get the filling right. It always came out extremely soupy, which is the absolute worst when you're trying to slice it for a family event. But this weekend my dad asked me to try a recipe that just came out in the Southern Living magazine. I decided to give it a go and what would you know, it turned out perfectly. The recipe called for 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar, which didn't add a strong flavor, but may have helped balance out the honey.  I really like how the pie reminded me of a pop tart, it made me very nostalgic for summers as a child.




Blueberry Pie adapted from Southern Living
2 pie crusts

7 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes

1. Take one cup of the blueberries in a large bowl and crush them with a wooden spoon. Add the cornstarch and balsamic vinegar and mix until the cornstarch is dissolved.

2. Add the rest of the blueberries and the rest of the ingredients except the butter and mix until combined.

3. roll out one of the pie crusts and place it in the pie pan. Pour the filling into the crust. Dot the filling with the butter cubes. Roll out the second crust and and cut it into strips. Arrange the strips on top of the filling in a lattice formation. Place the pie in fridge for 20 minutes while the oven is preheating.

4. Preheat the oven to 425. Place pie in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 375 and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Place foil around the edges of the crust so they don't get to dark and bake for 20-30 more minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.






1 comment:

  1. Ahh! We are headed to Maine on Thursday and I would love to make this!

    ReplyDelete