Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies


I've been making a hell of a lot of cakes lately, so this weekend I was looking for something easy. I browsed my normal foodblogs and found a recipe for m & m cookies on How Sweet. I don't usually make cookies, I don't really know why, I mean they come together so quickly and you get almost immediate satisfaction depending on how long you are willing to wait for them to cool. :) But these looked so good and the recipe seemed relatively simple. It was almost as if those tiny little candy coated chocolates were speaking to me saying, "make me, eat me, LOVE me". Sadly, I didn't have any m & m's in the house, or mini peanut butter cups, or any good candy for that matter (note to self: pick up candy to snack on). So I made the traditional chocolate chip cookies from leftover chips I had from other recipes. The reason I liked the cookie is because of the chewiness, my grandma makes her cookies with crisco and they are always too crisp for me. These cookies stayed soft for the few days that they lasted. I made the them extra-large and figured they'd be perfect for sandwiching some homemade ice cream, which I happened to make in my class on Monday! Now all I need is a really good scale so I can measure out the ingredients and make it at home.

Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from How Sweet)

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of salted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Cream together the sugars and butter until creamy.* Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until just incorporated. In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking soda. Add the flour mix to the wet ingredients and mix until the dough is uniform. Fold in your chocolate chips.

3. Take and ice cream scoop** and scoop out the dough onto a pan lined with parchment. I was able to get 6 cookies on each 8 x 13" pan. Bake cookies for 15-18 minutes or until pale golden. Let cool for 2 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack. Or eat straight from the pan and burn your mouth on molten chocolate like I did. Either one....

*The more you cream the ingredients the more the cookie will spread once in the oven. More spread will lead to a crispier cookie.

**The recipe from How Sweet tells you to take a ball of dough, break it in half and then put the dough on top of each other to bake. I didn't do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment