Thursday, July 28, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie



I wanted peanut butter this week. Jackson eats it every day with Ritz or mini clubs, but I hardly ever eat the stuff. The problem: it get stuff to the roof of your mouth, make you chug a gallon of water, and just isn't that good. Unless it's paired with CHOCOLATE. Duh, I love chocolate, we've established this. But I don't know if I've told you my obsession with chocolate and peanut butter. Those two ingredients combine and equal heaven. Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups = amazing. Seriously, try them. I'm planning on making some chocolate cupcakes and popping those babies in each one before they bake. But that's for another day.


Today I am talking about the good old fashioned peanut butter pie. The pie that is in every little dinner along the east coast, each one tasting just as delicious as the last. This recipe I found on Brown Eyed Baker's blog and knew that it was the one I had been looking for. The texture the smooth and light, the crust was an amazing contrast, I think I may even make it thicker next time. A drizzle of chocolate sauce was the perfect addition. This was a pie that didn't have any leftovers, and for good reason.

Peanut Butter Pie (adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)

Crust:
2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (about 20 Oreos)
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of salt

Filling:
6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1¼ cups creamy peanut butter (not chunky or natural)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Take your Oreos and place them in the food processor. Pulse a couple times until you get a fine crumb. Measure out 1 3/4 cups and add the brown sugar, butter, and salt. Mix together and press into a 9" pie plate. Put in fridge to let the butter set up slightly. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Take out and let cool.

2. For the filling beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and salt until creamy. Add the peanut butter and vanilla and mix until incorporated.

3. In another bowl whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks. Mix 1/3 of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture to lighten in. Then fold in the rest of the whipped cream. Spoon mixture into the cooled crust and refrigerate until serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment