Monday, September 26, 2011

Chai Tea Spice Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream



It was pretty chilly this weekend, which got me unbelievably excited about fall and all of the activities that come with this wonderful season. I started planning trips to the apple orchard, the pumpkin patch, and I was even brainstorming about possible Halloween costumes for Jackson. Of course along with weekend trip planning I also was in desperate need of some sort of fall dessert. I mentioned in my last post that I had found a recipe for Chai Tea Cake and this weekend seemed like the perfect opportunity to whip it up. I went out and got some Tazo Chai Tea, butter, and lots of eggs.

The recipe for the cake is from the Sky High Cakes Cookbook and it turned out just as well as the Southern Coconut Cake so I'm excited to try more of their recipes. I omitted the cardamom because, well, I was scared. Sometimes spices scare me. I'm not the kind of girl who adds cayenne to her chocolate, so I stuck with the traditional cinnamon and I think it worked out quite nicely. Instead of the Honey Ginger Buttercream I opted for a Cinnamon Buttercream. The lightness of the buttercream complimented the dense cake nicely. I'm definitely making this cake again, possibly for Thanksgiving or Christmas.




Chai Tea Cake (adapted from Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes)

1 1/3 cups milk
6 Chai tea bags
4 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cup cake flour
2 cups granulated sugar
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temp.

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray 3 8" cake pans and line the bottom with parchment.

2. In a small saucepan, heat the milk up until it's just simmering. Take off the heat and add the tea bags to the milk. Allow to steep for 5 minutes and then remove tea bags. Let cool to room temp.

3. In a medium bowl combine the eggs, yolks, 1/3 cup of chai milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine. IN a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Beat in the butter until it resembles wet sand. Add the rest of the chai milk and beat until combined. Add the egg mixture in 3 additions, beating after each addition.

4. Divide the batter between the 3 pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.

Cinnamon Buttercream (adapted from Rosy Beranbaum)

6 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 cups butter, room temp.
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Place the egg yolks in your stand mixer and begin beating on medium speed until they become light in color and texture (2-3 minutes).

2. While the eggs are beating, heat the sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan. When the mixture reaches a boil remove from heat and slowly pour into the mixer, while still beating. Continue beating until the outside of you mixing bowl is no longer warm to the touch (10-15 minutes). You'll need to scrape the side of the bowl to make sure everything is getting incorporated.

3. Once the mixture is cool, add the butter 1 tbsp at a time, waiting until it is entirely incorporated before adding the next tbsp. Once all the butter is added, combine the vanilla and cinnamon in a small bowl and add to the mixer, beating until combined. Refrigerate until ready to ice the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment