Thursday, September 29, 2011

French Coconut Pie


This pie was made for two reasons. One, I had extra pie dough in the fridge that was calling out to be made into a delicious dessert. And two, because I had an abundance of shredded coconut. My grandma and mom have made this pie many times before, although I will admit that I wasn't always in love with it. I went through a couple stages. As a child I turned my nose up at the thought of coconut, unless of course it was on a Samoa (yes, I was a girl scout!) Later on I tried the pie and decided that it was good, covered in an ungodly amount of whipped cream. Now, I can eat a huge piece, with no accoutrements, just slightly warm from the oven.

This isn't the recipe that my grandma has. It's one that I found on Tasty Kitchen. It's very similar to my grandma's recipe and there is almost nothing to it. It is a super easy pie that results in an extremely rich and decadent dessert. It is a great winter pie because of the warm feeling it leaves you with. I can't wait to make it again and I definitely will because even though I almost doubled the amount of coconut in the recipe, I still have some left over!!



French Coconut Pie (adapted from Tasty Kitchen)

3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cup granulate sugar
1 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 stick butter, melted
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla

1 9" pie crust (find the recipe here)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray your pie dish and place your rolled out crust into pie dish. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Pour mixture into crust, smooth out top and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the pie is set (open the oven and jiggle the pie dish a little, when the middle of the pie no longer moves it is done). Let cool slightly, serve warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment