Thursday, September 15, 2011

EPIC FAIL!!



It started off like any other Sunday. It was mid morning and I was trying to figure out what I would make for Sunday night dinner dessert. I had seen a pie crust tutorial on Pioneer Woman's cooking blog so I decided I would make a pie. But what kind of pie? I didn't want to make apple pie because we hadn't been to carter's mountain to pick them yet. I had made too many peach desserts so that was out. Then I thought...cherry. I would make a fresh cherry pie! I headed out to Whole Foods and picked up some pretty expensive cherries, but I knew it would be worth it once everyone got a slice of pie. I then headed over to Marshall's and picked up a cherry pitter.

I made my way home and started pitting, which involved a lot of juice splatter, but was relatively painless. After finishing that up I combined all the ingredients, cherries, cornstarch, salt, and sugar. I let that sit while I made the pie crusts. The pie crust tutorial was extremely helpful although I ended up not using the food processor because I didn't feel like fooling with it. The dough came together nicely and rolled out even better. I filled the crust with the cherry filling and topped it with the second crust. I even put a cute little heart on top.

Into the oven it went and cooked for a little over an hour. I brought it out of the oven, the crust golden brown and shiny. Then I let it cool on a rack until dinner. We ate dinner (amazing ribs, squash casserole, and coleslaw!!) and then it was time for dessert. I sliced into the pie, crazy with anticipation, pulled out the slice and, with horror, realized that there was a pool of cherry juice left in it's place. The filling hadn't thickened AT ALL. I have no idea what happened which made it even more unbelievable. My mom and I laughed for a few minutes then I tried the crust. It was AMAZING, at least something had turned out right! My dad had a slice later that night and said it was good (bless his heart). Needless to say that pie was thrown out pretty quickly.

I think I'll stick to apple pies from now on :)

Pie Crust (adapted from Pioneer Woman)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
1/4-1/3 cup cold water

1. Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter until it resembles wet sand. Slowly add the cold water, stirring until the mixture comes together into a dough.

2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and shape into two discs. If not using immediately, refrigerate.

3. Roll each disc out so it's about 1 1/2 inches bigger than your pie dish. Roll your crust onto your rolling pin and then roll it out into your pie dish. Pour your filling in and then place your top crust on.

No comments:

Post a Comment