Monday, March 5, 2012

Chocolate Confections



I'm halfway through my last semester of pastry school and this last class taught me a lot about chocolate. I learned about tempering, how to cook sugar, how to mold truffles, and I learned that I have little to no self-control when it comes to candy. Luckily a lot of our production was used to fill an order made by the Governor, so I wasn't taking home EVERYTHING I made (which I totally would have, if I was allowed). Among all of the different candies and chocolates we made, there was one recipe that stood out from all the rest. It was amazing and unbelievably easy! I've already put it on my Christmas baking list because everyone in my office was falling over themselves to get the last piece.




It's called Pecan Butter Crunch, and although you could use whatever nut you have on hand, who doesn't love pecans? It resembles a brittle, bu isn't nearly as hard, and is covered with chocolate and nuts. All you need is a big, heavy pot, and candy thermometer, and some patience to create this awesome confection! I will note that I poured my cooked sugar onto a silpat lined sheet pan and it made it incredibly easy when it came to flipping (which I'll explain more in the recipe), so if you don't have a silpat I would recommend investing in one, pronto.

Pecan Butter Crunch

1 lb butter
1 lb sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

12 oz chocolate (separated)
chopped pecans for garnish

1. Line a full sheet pan with a silpat. Grease an offset spatula with Pam.

2. In a large pot combine the butter and sugar. Begin cooking on med-high heat, you may need to stir for a few minutes until the butter is completely melted, but DO NOT stir once the mixture begins to bubble. Insert your candy thermometer and watch it carefully until it reaches 295 degrees.*

3. Remove your pot from the heat, add the salt and vanilla and then pour the mixture onto your silpat lined sheet pan. Even the mixture out with a offset spatula that has been sprayed with Pam. Let cool completely

4. Melt half your chocolate over a double boiler. Pour over the top of the cooled sugar mixture and spread out with a clean offset spatula. Sprinkle nuts over the top of the chocolate (however many you like). Allow chocolate to set and then you can flip the candy over and repeat on the other side.

5. Once both sides are set, break up the candy into individual pieces. This shouldn' be uniform, just break off similar size pieces so you can package easily.

*I always take mine off a degree or two before i reaches the temp because I know the temperature will continue to climb even after I've taken it off the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment