Monday, March 12, 2012

Homemade Funfetti Cake


It was one of my friend's birthday at work today and what goes better with a birthday celebration than homemade funfetti cake? ( I know, liquor, but it was the middle of the day people!) I had gotten some inspiration from this awesome cake, but decided that may have been a little too much so I scaled the sprinkle percentage down. I used this white cake recipe that I've been in love with and just included the addition of about 1/2 cup sprinkles. I folded them in at the very end and then baked the cakes like any other recipe.


When we cut into the cake, after a glass of prosecco (which I feel is okay because you drink that at brunch) everyone was amazed at the funfetti insides of the cake and how reminiscent of the boxed cake, but 10x better tasting! The buttercream was traditional vanilla, but I his a few extra sprinkles in between the layers for a added crunch. I think this will be my go-to cake for birthday celebrations b/c it is so easy, but soo much fun!

Homemade Funfetti Cake (adapted from Sky High: Irresistible Triple Layer Cakes)

5 egg whites
1/2 cup milk
3 cups cake flour
2 1/3 cups granulated sugar
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temp
1 cup light coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 3 8" cake pans and line the bottom with parchment.

2. Combine the egg whites and milk in small bowl. Beat shortly to help separate the egg whites. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients. Beat the butter into the mix (I cut it up before putting it in to help it incorporate) until it resembles wet sand. Add the coconut milk and beat. Add the egg white mixture in 3 additions, beating after each. Beat until fully combined. Gently fold in the sprinkles, making sure that they are well dispersed.

3. Divide into the 3 pans and bake for 25-30 or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan.

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! What frosting and tip did you use to pipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used a Swiss Meringue Vanilla Buttercream (you can find the recipe in my Strawberry Tall Cake post) and a star tip for the piping. Let me know if you make it!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete